- TF3MA yfirlit
- C leyfi #48 10. janśar 1966,
gamla QSL kortiš
- B leyfi 1967
- Virkni til 1970 (QTH: HP94hd)
- Aftur ķ loftiš 2001 (QTH: HP94de), eftir 30 įra hlé
- G leyfi #48 2003 (= gamla C-leyfiš)
Öręfajökull og Breišamerkurlón,
Picture by TF3MA:
Breišamerkurlón glacier lake,
in Europe's largest glacier Vatnajökull.
In the background is Öręfajökull 2110m.
QSL info: via
eQSL public profile
žri okt 30 15:53:12 GMT 2007
Ķ dag er mįnudagur 20. maķ 2013 og klukkan er 19:45:08
Žś tengist frį tölvu: ec2-107-20-129-212.compute-1.amazonaws.com
Nś er hitastig ķ Reykjavķk
K-index ķ Leirvogi (sjį rauntķmasegulsvišiš ķ
Leirvogi ) 06. jśnķ klukkan 00 var k = 3 , gildiš er uppfęrt į 3ja tķma fresti
K-gildin į žessu lķnuriti eru brįšabirgšagildi fyrir segulmęlingastöšina ķ Leirvogi og
endurspegla óróleikann ķ segulsvišinu žar.
Prelimenary K-index for Leirvogur Magnetic observatory, SW Iceland.
Lķnuritiš gerši TF3MA
Óróakort sem sżnir óróleika segulsvišs ķ Leirvogi fyrir
hvern dag, frį 3. janśar 2007.
Žessi sķša hefur veriš heimsótt
sinnum sķšan 21. desember 2000.
- ITU Zone: 17
- CQ Zone: 40
- IOTA: EU-021
- Grid LOC: HP94de (64 10 N, 21 42 W)
- QRV on 160m to 10m bands on most modes.
K3/100 #1113 (2008.06.20) tranceiver.
- Elecraft K2 #2024 (2001.05.20) tranceiver CW/SSB,
QRP with 10W (15W max) output and KPA100 (2002.09.03) with 100W output power
and KAT100 (2002.12.12) and KDSP2 (2003.10.01) with
the following mods.
(See LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to Elecraft K2 Modifications)
10/12m band filter mod
Rewiring from balanced to unbalanced audio pot
2nd Stage Crystal Filter Mod
Improved version of 2nd stage crystal filter mod
Increased RF gain and optional reduced intermodulation
K2 S-Meter activation from broadcast stations by adding a AGC IF BP filter.
- Mods in KPA100 and KAT100 manuals
mod by TF3MA, using LP filter made with 47mH and 2.2uF
Simple K2 RX mod handles extremely strong on-frequency signals
- New XTals for the CW filters with better grounding (ko0b). Much improvement.
- New XTals for the SSB filters. KI6WX 2.5kHz mod, better copy on SSB.
RX Frequency response
- Changed XTal filter bandwidth to 2.4kHz,
and changed C20 = 0.068uF, C34=0.47uF, resulting
TX freq response
relative RF output voltage measured across a dummy load on the 40m band.
Signal is from soundcard output using
Baudline signal generator and connected to the mic/digital input,
ALC inactive. Yes the USB Tx signal is abt 4dB down rel to LSB. This is due to
less BFO output on USB, TP2 is 39mV(RMS) on LSB, 19mV(RMS)
on USB and 40mV(RMS) on CW.
- Rx freq response with 2.4 kHz XTal filter and DSP BP filter
Frequency response AGC off. Noise gen input on 80m.
Measured across speaker terminals using sound card and Baudline program.
- Rx freq response with 2.4 kHz XTal filter from AUX AF
Frequency response AGC off. Noise gen input on 80m.
Measured from my AUX AF output buffer amp using sound card and Baudline program.
Same RF gain on SSB and CW. My AUX AF output buffer amp is a LM386 with a gain
of 2 connected to pin 5 of the mic connector.
- Temp compensation of the main PLL.
- KPA100 mod (only parts) for improving SWR handling,
resulting in better stability
and less led "dance" on KAT100.
See KPA100MODKT on http://www.elecraft.com/,
SSB filter improving by putting some screens. This improves
the shape factor and ultimate rejection of the SSB filter.
- Improved LF audio response on receive by extending the low frequency
response of the audio circuit. The original low freq. cutoff (-3db) freq.
is approx. 640Hz
(with KAF or DSP moduls installed) or 400Hz (with no audio moduls)
determined by C25, C26 and the 5kOhm volume control (and NE612 mixer impedance),
I put 0.1uF (0.22uF also OK) SMD's across C25 and C26 (on the printside of the
Control Board, do
not remove C25 or C26),
extending the low frequency response to approx. 320Hz.
This improves the SSB sound of the receiver, and improves SNR when copying low
pitch CW signals. This simple mod increases the rx audio signal at
300 Hz by 3dB, giving better spectrum balance when copying low pitch CW.
- My audio filter
a balanced LP audio filter using two 150mH (ri = 60 Ohms)
coils and one 10nF cap. It is plugged in the place of the Audio Filter on
the Control board.
Input is on pins 1 and 2 of J1 and goes to the two coils and the
output goes to pins 1 and 2 of J2. 10nF is connected across the output pins 1
and 2 on J2.
This circuit along with U11's output impedance, C177 (0.022 on RF board)
and R3 (Vol control) and C27 (0.022 on Control board) make the complete LP
is a 3rd order (18dB/oct) Butterworth LP filter with cutoff at 3 kHz.
The Butterworth reponse is preferred as it has low ringing.
With these two mods the SSB audio response of my K2 better tracks the 2.4 kHz
X-Tal filter's response. The values choosen help to flatten the
K2 SSB audio response making it flatter than if using the DSP.
Here is the
Measured RX frequency response of my K2
with the 2.4 kHz X-Tal filter and the simple LP filter and the extended LF
response mod, using noise generator on the 80m band, measured at the speaker
output connector. It lacks the steep
skirts of the DSP filter or the KAF audio filter, but it sounds good. (oct 2007)
Improving TX sound quality.
I think that it is most likely that I was overdriving the
balanced modulator and making SSB sound distorted.
So I did the IMD mod suggested
by John KI6WX and put a 2.2k resistor across input pins 1 and 2 on the
balanced mixer IC, I had previously done his KSB2 increased gain mod to
get better SSB output drive with low sensitivity mics. This cured the problem
and now my TX sounds better.
LA3ZA excellent K2 mod pages.
- Heil ProSet-K2, ic element.
- Electret mic from an old cassette radio, mounted in 12mm dia and
15cm long aluminum tube. Sounds great!
Dynamic mic preamp with simple frequency shaping
- Audio output independent of VOL control.
A 1K resistor from pin 5 of the MIC input
connector to the VOL control pot (pin-CW) on the front panel board.
This works well as I have the DSP unit installed. The DSP uses a low
impedance output to the VOL control.
- Amplifier is ACOM-1000 (marz 2005).
- Multiband (3el log periodic type)
wire dipole antenna for
20 to 10 meter bands, with 50 Ohm feedpoint impedance and fed through
1:1 Current Mode Balun and coax. Low SWR on 20, 15 and 10meter bands.
Needs tuner on the WARP bands.
- Inverted L antenna 1/4 wavelength long (10m*11m, H*L) for the 80 meter band,
with several short ground radials laying on the ground.
Connected to 1:1 current balun and abt 15m of RG-58C to the shack.
The feedpoint impedance at the base is abt 30 Ohms.
- Ground mounted 1/4 wavelength verticals for the 40m and 30m bands.
13.8V 25Amp power supply for KPA100
Measuring antenna SWR using KAT100.
Connect a 50 Ohm dummy load to the KAT100 output. Push TUNE on the K2.
Connect the antenna to KAT100 and adjust power on K2 to 20W (or 2W)
and select CW. Momentary key the K2. The KAT100 will now show
the actual (well, not accounting for the cable losses) antenna SWR
on its LED display. 20W (2W) should be safe for a short time.
- CQWW SSB Score 70.060, 20 Zones, 42
Countries, 486 QSO's. Using Collins KWT6 (100 W PEP) on 10meter band.
- CQWW SSB Score , Zones,
Countries, 443 QSO's. Using Collins KWT6 (100 W PEP) on all bands.
- CQWW SSB Score 23.408, 17 Zones, 60
Countries, 165 QSO's. Using K2 (10 W PEP) on 10meter band.
- CQWW CW Score 1.344, 13 Zones, 19 Countries,
24 QSO's. Using K2 (5 W QRP) on 10meter band.
- ARRL DX Phone Score 8.352, 58 QSO's, 48 States A. Using K2 (5W QRP)
on all bands (20, 15, 10m).
- PACC contest 2002. Score 585, 39 QSO's . Using K2 (10 W PEP) on 15 and 10m bands.
- CQWPX SSB Score 26.676,
134 QSO's. Using K2 (10 W PEP) on 15meter band.
- IARU Phone only Score 5771, 60 QSO's, 29 multiplier
- CQWW SSB Score 34.100, 23 Zones, 77
Countries, 162 QSO's. Using K2/100 (100 W PEP) on 15meter band.
- CQWW CW Score 12.480, 17 Zones, 48 Countries,
125 QSO's. Using K2 (5 W QRP) on 15meter band. (Many bad QSO's and typos :-( )
- ARRL-10 Phone Score 31.914, 197 QSO's, 45 Countries, 33 + 1 (DC) States, 2 Canadian provinces. Using K2/100 (100W) and a dipole.
- ARRL DX CW Score 2.244, 34 QSO's, 22 States A. Using K2/100, 100W
on all bands (80, 40, 20m).
- ARRL DX Phone Score 21.375, 125 QSO's, 57 States A. Using K2/100, 100W
on all bands (40, 20, 15, 10m).
- CQWPX SSB Score 6.664,
72 QSO's, 68 prefixes. Using K2/100 (100 W PEP) on 20m and 15meter bands.
- SPDX SSB Score 5.859,
63 QSO's, 189 points, multiplier 31. Using K2/100 (100 W PEP) on 40m, 20m and 15meter bands.
- CQWPX CW Score 12.276,
98 QSO's, 93 prefixes, 43 countries. Using K2/100 (90 W) on 20m band.
- WAE SSB/CW Claimed Score 540,
30 QSO's, 18 multipliers, 19 countries. Using K2/100 (95 W) on 20m band.
- ARRL DX Phone Claimed Score 6.039, 61 QSO's, 33 States A. Using K2/100, 100W
on all bands (80, 40, 20, 15m).
- CQWPX SSB Claimed Score 49.536,
192 QSO's, 172 prefixes. Using K2 (90 W PEP) on the 20 meter band.
- SPDX SSB Score 4.650,
62 QSO's, 186 points, multiplier 25. Using K2/100 (100 W PEP) on 20 and 15 meter bands.
- WAEDC SSB Score 4.278,
62 QSO's, 16 countries. Using K2/100 (100 W PEP) on 40, 20 and 15 meter bands.
- CQWW CW Score 3.742,
43 QSO's. Using K2 (98 W) on all bands.
- PACC Claimed Score 648
36 QSO's. Using K2 (100 W) on 40m and 15m bands.
- ARRL DX Phone Claimed Score 32.130
153 QSO's. Using K2/100 (100 W) on 40m, 20m and 15m bands.
- CQWPX SSB Claimed Score 59.470,
227 QSO's, 180 prefixes. Using K2/100 + linear on the 20 meter band.
- CQWW SSB Claimed Score 68.295, 222 QSO's. Using K2/100 + Linear(1kW PEP) on
80, 40, 20 and 15 meter bands.
- CQWW CW Claimed Score 67.860,
257 QSO's. Using K2/100 on all bands.
- ARRL DX Phone Claimed Score 30.996
164 QSO's. Using K2/100+linear (1000W) on 80m, 40m, 20m and 15m bands.
- CQWPX SSB Claimed Score 66.586,
225 QSO's, 197 prefixes. Using K2/100 + linear on all bands.
Radķóamatöra klśbbur Mosfellsbęjar
Klśbbuinn var stofnašur 30. nóvember 2005 af žeim Andrési H. Žórarinssyni,
TF3AM og Marteini Sverrissyni, TF3MA.
Žrišji klśbbfélaginn er Arngrķmur Jóhannsson, TF5AD.
Tilgangur klśbbsins er m.a. aš stušla aš betri žįttöku mešlima hans ķ
The magnetic observatory in
is just 3km to the North
of my QTH, it provides valuable information on the current
HF radio conditions in
Iceland. When there is a geomagnetic storm going on, HF radio conditions are
usually very bad in Iceland, but the Aurora is beautiful.
Iceland is in the
middle of the Aurora Belt, making contacts during ongoing magnetic
disturbances very hard and usually the conditions are bad here for
many days following such an event.
When signals from/to Iceland have to go through the aurora zone, they
are severly attenuated, during normal conditions I often hear G and
Europian stations having QSO's with VK, ZL on 20m
giving S9+ reports and there is not a trace of the VK, ZL signals
at my location, all their signals are absorbed in the aurora zone.
Loftnet og Nec2 loftnetsforritiš
Žaš er hęgt aš skoša flesta žętti loftnetseiginleika meš Nec2 forritinu,
hér er dęmi um samanburš į dķpól og groundplane vertical, žetta eru reyndar
loftnet sem ég nota nś.
Dķpóll eša Vertical? Hvor er betri?
Dķpóll ķ 9m hęš og kvartbylgju "vertical ground plane" meš topp ķ 9m hęš.
Jaršleišni "normal" (eps=13 og rho=5mmho).
Reynsla mķn sżnir aš oftast er betra merki į dķpólnum, enda įvinningur
hans allt aš 6dB meiri.
Hins vegar er "vertical dķpóll" stundum betri en lįréttur dķpóll,
žaš gęti veriš vegna žess aš jaršleišnin sé betri hjį mér,
en gert er rįš fyrir ķ lķkanreikningum.
Jaršleišnin skiptir mestu mįli žegar įvinningur
lóšrétts loftnets er metinn, bęši veršur įvinningur (gain) meiri og
śtgeislunarhorn lęgra žegar jaršleišnin batnar.
Einnig getur veriš aš geislunarhorn lóšrétta tvķpólsins sé stundum
heppilegra fyrir merkiš.
Radķóamatör hugbśnašur fyrir Linux
MyMALog.tcl --- TF3MA logging program, with hamlib rig control and a simple CW terminal for K2
- TF3MA TCL/TK logging program
- Written in TCL/TK and runs on most Un*x platforms, GPL licence
- Uses MySQL table to store logfiles
- Uses Hamlib to get info from the rig
- Use multiple logbooks (tables) in the same database
- Small footprint, < 300 TCL/TK code lines are less than 100k
- Previous QSO lookup, with MySQL regular expressions
- Logfile entries stored in a MySQL table
- Editing/Deleting of old logfile entries using a popup window
- Easy to type in your old paperlog logbook
- Contest logging with auto increment serial numbering
- Cabrillo, ADIF and text file export
- ADIF file import
- DXCC lookup of country and prefix using dxcck2di.txt
- Distance and bearing to the other station, using gcb
- Auto callsign lookup from qrz.com using Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox
- Crude DXCC statistics, displaying country, band, prefix count
- QSL tracking and label printing
- SWL label printing
- Elecraft K2 rig control, Band, Freq and Mode switching/logging. Automatic
connection to K2, when K2 is turned on.
- User configured CW macros from F1 to F8 buttons, simple CW terminal for K2 internal keyer
- Setup and macros stored in a .***rc file.
- rcfile editing using a popup window
- On start the last QSO mode is restored, as well as the serial number, if it is a contest
- MySQL database dump for easy backup and copying.
- Running the program with a remote X-terminal, this program can be used
to control K2 across a network using SSB or CW.
Use linphone or kphone (VoIP) for transfering the audio.
Digital modes do not need VoIP.
- From version 2.00, uses hamlib to get info from rig.
MATerm.tcl --- TF3MA CW terminal with basic K2 rig control/info
- TF3MA TCL/TK morse terminal ---
with basic K2 controls and user configurable messages and
commands. Uses mousewheel to tune the frequency.
MAMorse.tcl --- TF3MA simple morse terminal for K2, with some macros
CW_Term.tcl --- TF3MA plain cw terminal program for K2
Audio LP filter for Elecraft K2
This is a simple lowpass filter I made to reduce the high frequency
hiss on the audio. The cutoff frequency is around 2.4 kHz.
K2 audio LP filter
Frequency response with and without LP filter, markers at 2.0,
2.5kHz and 5kHz Upper trace is without LP filter, middle is
with R=820 Ohm and lowest trace is with R=2700 Ohm, simulated with
Vol control at 50%.
Frequency response without LP filter, markers at 0.5, 2.2 and
Frequency response with LP filter, markers at 0.5, 2.2 and
- New (Nov 3rd 2001) K2 audio LP
filter , after doing the K2 AF Gain control mod. This version
of the LP filter sounds better than the previous one.
- Frequency response of the new TF3MA LP filter.
The graph shows the original K2 audio circuit frequency
response and the response with the new TF3MA LP filter inserted,
these are SPICE calculated responses.
heimasķša Azimuth Map for TF3MA
I borrowed a mfj-1026 noise cancelling unit from my friend Villi, TF3VS
the unit works wonders on 80m. A sample of 80m signals follows,
first abt 1min of signals with the noise cancelling on, and then I
switched the unit in and out,
Needs an OGG codec, windows codec can be found on the web.
The main antenna is an inverted L, the noise antenna a 20m dipole.